Warning: San Diego Airport Terminal 1 Construction Detours Ahead
If you are heading to the airport or picking someone up, there will be construction impacts at San Diego International Airport beginning Saturday July 30 at 6 p.m. and ending Sunday July 31 at 6 a.m.
Certain lane closures at the intersection of Harbor Drive and Harbor Island Drive will impact traffic entering Terminal 1:
- If traveling east on Harbor Drive, pass Terminal 1 and make a U-turn at Winship Lane to access Terminal 1.
- If traveling north from Harbor Island Drive, turn right on Harbor Drive eastbound and make a U-turn at Winship Lane to access Terminal 1.
- For drivers exiting Terminal 1 who wish to circumnavigate and re-enter Terminal Road, turn left onto Harbor Drive eastbound and make a U-turn at Winship Lane to re-enter Terminal 1.
- Pedestrians walking from Harbor Island to Terminal 1 will need to walk east along Harbor Drive and cross at Liberator Way, then walk west to Terminal 1.
- MTS 923 bus riders will not be able to walk to or from Terminal 1, but will have access on foot to and from Harbor Island during this time. MTS route 992 will continue to pick up and drop off in front of Terminals 1 and 2.
Parking at the airport is currently extremely limited. Below are suggested options for SAN passengers:
- Use public transport to get to the airport. There are more ways than ever to get to and from the airport by public transport. Try for free San Diego Flyer shuttle bus, a convenient last-mile connection between the Old Town Transit Center and the airport. MTS is also offering free rides on the 992 bus from the airport to downtown through Labor Day.
- Get dropped off/picked up. Ask your friends or family to pick you up or pick you up. Taxi, Lyft, Uber or other ride-sharing options are also good alternatives.
- If you park at the SAN, make parking reservations in advance. Reservations can be made for Parking Plaza or Terminal 2 Valet Parking. If parking in Terminal 2 Parking Plaza but flying from Terminal 1, passengers can use the Terminal Loop Shuttle which transports passengers between the two terminals efficiently. Reservations can be made at san.org/parking. The new T1 parking spot is expected to open in the fall of 2024.
This construction is an important part of SAN’s new T1 project which will replace the current Terminal 1 with a modern and efficient facility that will enhance the airport experience and complete the transformation of San’s air travel gateway. Diego. The first phase of the New T1 project is expected to be completed in 2025, and full completion of the project is expected by the end of 2028.
|Terminal 1 Airlines||Terminal 2 East Airlines||Terminal 2 West Airlines|
|Border airlines||Alaska Airlines||Air Canada|
|South West Airlines||Air Allegiant||British Airways|
|Spirit Airlines||American airlines||Delta Airlines|
|Sun Country Airlines||Hawaiian airlines|
|Jet Blue Airways|